Sunday, October 25, 2009

My Day at Norval

School means work, and field trips mean no school. However, when I went to Norval I realized I was doing work unconsciously. I was working on the aspects of my life that I don’t usually practice. Risk was one of them.

The wall was an activity that pushed me out of my comfort zone. It made me anxious, tense, and stressed. Although I experienced these emotions, what I did enjoy was the thrill of excitement. It felt like I had an adrenaline rush of pleasure after I accomplished the task. I was proud of myself that I pushed myself that far. In addition, a tingle of enjoyment, amusement and delight was what I experienced when I got thrown up in the air with the Indian Blanket.

Nevertheless, this wouldn’t have been possible without the assistance, support, and contribution of the team. I trusted them with all my strength because they showed confidence that they had a handle on the activity. Therefore, I knew that they wouldn’t drop me. I believe that the whole team did a very good job on communicating to one and other, so each and every one of us could feel comfortable.

Although we did well on communicating, we lacked focus. Our councilors had to remind us to pay attention. They also told us that our number one priority was on the person that we were lifting. Unfortunately, this took concentration that we didn’t have. As a result of this, Aureon fell rapidly and hurt himself. If we all had paid a little more attention to what we were doing, this reckless accident wouldn’t have happened.

As the day passed, I was starting to notice that even if we had great ideas made by bright people, they wouldn’t of have become reality if it wasn’t for the effort of the team. Being a leader implies that one is in charge, but a team means something entirely different. It means that as a group, we all collaborated to get things done. This is what my team did. If it hadn’t been for the trip to Norval, I would have forgotten one of my favourite quotes: Teamwork is a make or break situation. Either you help make it or the lack of it will break you." – Kris A. Hiatt.

The day to Norval showed me that any goal is possible if you try your best. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to go on the trip because it opened my eyes to many different things that I would not have normally seen. Now, when I have the chance to take a risk, I will feel more comfortable and safe with my decision.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I loved how you shared your emotions that you were feeling at the time. I also like the quote about teamwork!

    ReplyDelete